Tuesday, June 25, 2013

No Flour Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites

I am in the midst of a crazy, crazy week so this week's Try Something New Tuesday is going to be short, sweet and to the point. I'd been eyeing this recipe on Pinterest for awhile and decided to give it a try. I've used chickpeas before in cookies and really liked the way they turned out, so I thought these sounded promising.

Here's the cast.


First, rinse your chickpeas.


Then pat all those little chickpeas dry.


Dump all the ingredients except the chocolate chips into a food processor.


Then process the heck out of it until you get a nice, smooth batter. I stopped the processor and scraped the sides a couple of times to make sure I got everything well blended. 


Then add the chocolate chips. I mixed these in a separate bowl. My dough was a little warm after all that processing. I should have put it in the fridge for a few minutes first to let it cool down, but I was anxious to try these so I went ahead and added the chocolate. My dough turned a little chocolatey when I mixed in the chips because they did melt slightly.


Next, wet your hands and roll the dough into 1-1/2" balls and place them on a lined cookie sheet. I got 14 cookies.


Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes.


Oh be still my heart. Cookies that I can totally justify as healthy? Yes, please!


The kids loved them too.




These are best served warm out of the oven. They also reheat beautifully. I found that 8 seconds in the microwave is just about perfect. However, 15 seconds in the microwave + lack of patience when it comes to waiting for chocolate = a burned tongue.

I did not calculate the nutrition on these myself, but I did read that it was somewhere around 120 calories per cookie.

No Flour Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites
  • 1-1/4 cups canned chickpeas, well rinsed and patted dry (this was slightly less than 1 can)
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. natural peanut butter or almond butter (don't use regular peanut butter; the cookies will be too oily)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • a pinch of salt if your peanut butter doesn't have salt in it
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat your oven to 350. Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips in a food processor and process until very smooth. 

2. Put in the chocolate chips and stir. The mixture will be thick and sticky.

3. With wet hands, form into 1-1/2" balls. Place onto lined cookie sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes.

Enjoy!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom also tried these a few months ago and said they were good! I was a little skeptical, but now that I see your kids approved them, I'll take that as a good sign :)

Unknown said...

They were seriously GREAT! I bought more chickpeas to make them again this week. I'm pretty sure they have just enough healthy ingredients that I could justify eating them for dinner. ;)