Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Black Bean Soup

The week is off to a good start! I started a new workout program, and I am loving it! It's called Focus T25, and the workouts are just 25 minutes each!!! Believe you me though, 25 minutes is plenty of time to get in a great sweat. Here are Jeff and I after our first workout. Please note the sweat. And the happy expression Jeff is wearing.


In unrelated news, we all had dentist appointments today. It was baby girl's first one. Not surprisingly, she had TWO cavities. Have I mentioned she's strong willed? The first 3 years of brushing her teeth included using my limited knowledge of wrestling moves to pin her down, force her mouth open, and cram the toothbrush inside. Apparently, that wasn't the best strategy. But she sure looked cute in the chair at the dentist's office!


Last week, my friend Karen told me about a new recipe for black bean soup she'd tried. Karen got the recipe from the back of a can of Rotel. As soon as she told me about it, I knew it was going on the blog. Here's what's included.


First, you dice 1/2 cup carrots, 1/2 cup onion, and 1/2 cup celery. I chose to chop mine in the food processor. And to make them pretty small so the kids wouldn't even notice they were there.


Next, you saute the vegetables in 2 Tbsp. of oil for about 10 - 15 minutes, or until they're tender.


Then dump in all the remaining ingredients except the cilantro. Bring it to a boil, and then turn down the heat and let it simmer for 20 minutes.


While that's simmering, mince 1/4 cup cilantro. I did this in my food processor this time - SO much easier than doing it by hand!!!

Stir in the cilantro just before serving.


So, so good! The boy said he loved it more than pizza. PIZZA y'all!!!


The recipe says this makes 6 servings, but I would say we easily got 8 or more out of it. Even at 6 servings, that calculates to just under 300 calories each and over 12 grams of protein!

Black Bean Soup
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped carrots
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 3 cans black beans, undrained
  • 2 cans Rotel, undrained
  • 1 can Fiesta corn (recipe says drained, but I did not drain mine)
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
~Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrot, celery and onion; mix well. Cook 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Add all remaining ingredients except Rotel. Mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro just before serving.

Question of the Day:

How do you brush a toddler's teeth?

No comments: