Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Greek Yogurt Pancakes

My family loves breakfast food. We love it so much that it's not at all uncommon for us to eat breakfast for dinner. So when I saw this recipe from Julie over at Peanut Butter Fingers, I knew I had to try it. On a Tuesday. It's Try Something New Tuesday, y'all!

Julie's recipe is adapted from Pioneer Woman's recipe for Edna Mae's Sour Cream Pancakes. As much as I love a good Pioneer Woman recipe, I love that this one packs a protein punch even better.

Here's the ensemble.


First, take your Greek yogurt and dump it in a medium-sized bowl. Like so.


Add the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.


Stir those together gently until they just start to come together.


In a separate, small bowl, beat 2 eggs.


Add the vanilla to the eggs and stir.


Then pour the egg mixture over the yogurt mixture.


Stir together gently. Do not over mix. The batter will be slightly lumpy.


Now it's time to cook these up! Julie's recipe (as well as PW's) called for spooning the batter onto the griddle 1/4 cup at a time. So that's what I did, but apparently I should have left a little more room between them.


Here's the finished product.


These were absolutely delicious and so simple to make!! The kids, Jeff and I devoured them in no time. We loved them so much that I had to make a second batch! I thought they were far more filling than most other pancakes I've made.

On a side note, Julie got 12 pancakes from her recipe; however, I only got 9 from my first batch (using 1/4 cup of batter per pancake). For the 2nd batch, I tried using less batter for each pancake and got 11. I calculated the nutrition to be around 50 calories and 3.5 grams of protein per pancake. That will vary slightly depending on how many you get from the recipe.

Greek Yogurt Pancakes
  • 1 cup Greek yogurt
  • 7 tbsp. flour (I used 1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 all-purpose)
  • 1 tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
~Place the yogurt in a medium bowl. Add flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir gently until mixture just starts to come together. Whisk eggs in a separate small bowl. Add vanilla to the eggs and stir. Pour egg mixture over yogurt mixture. Stir gently. Do not over mix. The batter will be slightly lumpy. Pour onto lightly greased pancake griddle 1/4 cup at a time.

Question of the Day:

Do you ever eat breakfast for dinner?


No comments: