Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Try Something New Tuesday: Epic Fail

So I was all excited about this week's Try Something New Tuesday post. I was going to make my own veggie burgers in honor of Memorial Day! I couldn't wait to try them!!! Even the kids were looking forward to testing one out.

I assembled all my ingredients.


Then I whirled them all around in my food processor. This is when I first realized I had a problem.


Appetizing, huh? Yeah, I know. It looks like something you would retrieve from an infant's diaper. Still, I was optimistic. So I began assembling the burgers.


I soon realized this mixture was way too messy and was never going to hold its form on the grill. After a quick reevaluation of the ingredient list, I discovered I'd made an error that would prove fatal. I was doubling the recipe, but I had inadvertently quadrupled the amount of lemon juice in the burgers. 

I tried to salvage them by adding more flour. For awhile, I thought it actually might work.


I even put them on the grill. After a few minutes, they went from large, flat, and messy poo piles to large, flat, brick-like poo piles. Yum.


Still, I didn't want to give up on my dream of making amazing veggie burgers from scratch. So I tasted one. And that's when I knew without a doubt that this dream was...well...going down the pooper.


Oh well, at least someone enjoyed them.


Meanwhile, I put another veggie burger on the grill from the delightful folks at Morningstar Farms. People who apparently know better than I do how a veggie burger is made. It was delicious!


And for dessert, a berry trifle that the kids and I made together! 


I guess every new recipe can't be a winner!

Question of the Day:

Have you ever made veggie burgers?

No comments: