Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Try Something New Tuesday: Southwest Chicken Soup

You may recall that I recently challenged my May Madness group to share some healthy recipes with me. One that spoke to me as soon as I saw it was Karen's Southwest Chicken Soup. Anything that sounds like it might have a little spicy kick to it is definitely up my alley! And it is so simple to make that I knew it would be perfect for our hectic life!

Here's what you'll need.


There is also supposed to be a 1/2 package of frozen corn in here. I totally forgot about it! I'll do better next time!

First you're going to cook about 3 cups of chicken. This will probably be about 3 - 4 chicken breasts, depending on size. I boiled mine then chopped it up in the food processor.

Next you put 12 oz. of salsa verde in a large saucepan. I'm going to be honest: I used the whole 15 oz. jar instead. I like it spicy! Let the salsa warm over medium heat for about 2 minutes.


Then you add your chicken.


And stir in your cannelini beans, corn (assuming your don't forget like I did), chicken broth and seasonings.


Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes.


That's it!!! It's done! So easy! And the verdict?

They all loved it!!!




This one loved it so much she had 2 bowls!!!


We served it with some sour cream and corn chips, just like chili. I had mine plain, and it was delicious! It will definitely be on our regular rotation.

I loved the nutrition on this dish too! I calculated it to be under 300 calories and about 40 grams of protein for a sixth of the recipe. And I would say we definitely got more than 6 servings from it. Hearty, filling AND low-calorie?! Yes, please! It meant I got an extra piece of chocolate after dinner!

Thanks, Karen, for the wonderful recipe!!! I am so thankful to have you for a friend and neighbor!

Karen with one of her sweet boys.
Southwest Chicken Soup

  • 12 oz. salsa verde (I used an entire 15 oz. jar)
  • 3 c. cooked chicken (about 3 - 4 chicken breasts, depending on size)
  • 1 15 oz. can cannellini beans, drained
  • 3 c. chicken broth (I used 4 cups)
  • 1/2 package frozen corn
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
~Empty salsa in large saucepan. Cook 2 minutes on medium-high heat. Add chicken, beans, broth, corn, cumin and chili powder. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.


1 comment:

Ashley said...

This sounds great, Jennifer! How about making a meal plan for a week with a shopping list for all your dedicated readers!