Sunday, April 7, 2013

Great Escape

So Friday I discovered what I had been training for with all these workouts the past 2 years.

Our chocolate lab, Bear, escaped from our fenced-in backyard when one of my blasted precious children opened the gate to retrieve a ball. Bear is a big boy. Most dogs chew on bones or sticks. Bear has his own ideas.

The next thing I know, Bear is 3 yards away. We call him. He totally ignores us. I call the husband. He tells me to leave the children behind and go after the dog. Obviously, he was out of his ever' lovin' mind not thinking clearly. So I did the next best thing.

I left the 2 youngest in the care of the 10-year-old, and the 8-year-old and I took off after the dog. We sprinted to the lawn he was visiting. The closer we got to him, though, the further away from us he ran. So I quickly devised a plan. I let the kid continue to walk slowly toward him while I circled around the house and came toward him from behind.

Naturally, my plan worked brilliantly. Kind of. I grabbed him by the collar, and we headed toward our yard. Unfortunately, he wasn't anxious to go. It took every ounce of my strength to literally drag him across 3 lawns back to his home. At one point I tried riding him like a horse. That wasn't too successful.

Lessons learned from Friday's mishap: 1)Leash train your dog. We should have taken him for formal training when he was a puppy, but we were too cheap frugal. 2) Never buy a dog that weighs as much as you do. 3) You never know when you'll be able to put your strength and endurance training to good use.

Friday afternoon I left for a ladies' retreat with my church. It was a wonderful weekend, and I had a great time with my sisters!


Since I didn't get to workout on Saturday while I was at the retreat, I made up for it today with Asylum 2 Championship. The upcoming week is a recovery week for me, so it will be nice to slow things down a little for a few days.

Have a great Monday!

Question of the Day:

What does your dog like to chew?



No comments: