Sunday, March 10, 2013

Insanity Review

Insanity is, in my humble opinion, one of the greatest workouts ever put on DVD. If you're looking to increase your endurance or stamina, this is the program for you. If you want to be a better athlete, this is the program for you. If you're a mommy looking to get rid of that "mommy tummy" that plagues so many of us after childbirth, this is the program for you!



The Workouts

Insanity is a 60-day program made up of 10 workouts. Most of the workouts are between 35 - 45 minutes, although there are two that last about an hour. To read more about each Insanity workout, click here.

Insanity is based on the premise of MAX interval training, which means you perform long bursts of maximum-intensity exercises with short periods of rest. You can burn up to 1,000 calories in an hour with this type of training!



I'm not going to lie. It's crazy hard! I still remember the first time my husband and I did an Insanity workout. We'd been working out for about 7 or 8 minutes and Shaun T (the program's creator) made the comment that this was "just the warm-up." We both looked at each other in shock. This was still the warm-up?!?! Would we survive the actual workout?!?!

But we did survive! And Insanity really took us to the next level of fitness!! Shaun T knows the right combination of exercises to get you the results you want. You will do everything from pushups to kicks to burpees and jumps of all kinds. He covers it all from head to toe!


One of my favorite parts about the program is that Shaun T puts a lot of focus on the entire core. I have never had abs in my life. This program got me abs without ever doing a single sit-up or crunch!!!

Equipment

There is NO equipment required for Insanity. There are some resistance exercises, but you use your own body weight for the resistance instead of weights. This makes it perfect for travel as well.



Who Should NOT Use Insanity

Insanity is not for everyone. Unlike P90X, it is not easy to modify this program. It is designed for people who are already in fairly decent shape. There is a lot of jumping involved, so if you have a history of knee or back/neck problems, this program might not be right for you.

Final Thoughts

One of my favorite things about Insanity is that it never gets "easy." No matter how many times I do the workouts, I am always challenged. If you have any questions about Insanity, please post them below or contact me at corvincrew@gmail.com. And if you've done the workouts, I want to hear from you! Tell me about your experience with Insanity!!!


No comments: