Tuesday, March 5, 2013

World's Best Breakfast Cookies

I started off my morning today with a little Asylum Volume 2. One hour and ten minutes later I was ready for some food!!! The kids were begging for breakfast cookies. I was more than happy to oblige.

My friend Rachel (Holla, Rach!!!) introduced me to this recipe a few years ago. It has become a favorite in our home ever since. I have made a few modifications over the years: reducing the sugar, substituting half the oil for applesauce, and using whole wheat flour in place of all-purpose. 

Oh, and I took out all the dried fruit and replaced it with chocolate chips. 'Cause that's how I roll. I did try it with raisins several times, but I found myself the kids getting upset every time they bit into a chocolate chip only to discover it was actually a raisin. So we just eat raisins later. 

Let's get started! Here's the ensemble:


First, you're going to take all the dry ingredients and combine them in a large bowl.


Once the dry ingredients have been combined, you want to take a spoon or spatula and dig a well in the middle. Then you're going to add all the wet ingredients in your well. We like to call it a "swimming pool" around here.


Now it's time to mix it all up!


Here comes the best part!


Aren't they beautiful?!? I like to stir these in with a spatula, but get your stirring arm ready because the dough is pretty thick. It can be a bit of a workout to get them all mixed in. But that just gives you an excuse to eat an extra cookie later.


Next, take an ice cream scoop and spoon the dough out onto a cookie sheet. I like to line my cookie sheet with nonstick foil. I usually get 6 cookies to a sheet.


Once you've spooned all your cookies, wet your hand and pat them down. I would say I pat mine down to about a quarter inch.


Bake them at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes. You want them a little undercooked on top so they'll stay nice and soft. 


I usually get 30 - 35 cookies per recipe depending on how much dough I eat how big I make them. Once the cookies have cooled (and you've tested one or two for quality control purposes), wrap them in wax paper and store them in a ziplock bag. I usually split them between two bags and put half of them in the freezer.


Now you have a quick breakfast or snack ready to go. Pop them in the microwave for a few seconds, and it's just like eating them fresh out of the oven. I feel much better about giving my kids these than a prepackaged granola bar. Plus, depending on how many you get out of a recipe, they come in at just 125 - 150 calories each for a BIG cookie!!! 

World's Best Breakfast Cookies
  • 1-1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 2-1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 Tbsp. water
  • 5 egg whites
  • 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheet or line with nonstick foil or parchment paper.

2. In a large bowl, stir together sugar, oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Make a well in the center and pour in the oil, applesauce, water, egg whites, and vanilla. Mix until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Scoop cookies using an ice cream scoop, or roll into golf-ball sized balls. Place cookies 2" apart onto prepared cookie sheet and flatten to a quarter inch with wet hands.

3. In preheated oven, bake approximately 8 minutes.

2 comments:

Caroljean at Watersong Journey said...

So much better for you than a pot tart...but I wish I had a pop tart sometimes! :) Thanks for sharing!

mcquinnley said...

Love these! Definitely need to make some this weekend.