Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Time I Almost Ate Poop....

This morning's workout was rough! I did P90X's Back & Biceps, and I don't know if it was my poor eating from yesterday or the fact that I hadn't done this particular workout in a couple of months, but I was struggling!!! When I was finished, I attempted to put my earrings back in. I seriously could not raise my arms to my ears to put them on. I will be feeling it tomorrow!

After my workout, I decided to get caught up on some of my favorite blogs. I was reading this post about binge eating, and it really got me thinking. My sister and I have talked before about how depriving yourself of food can make things that you don't normally eat seem very appetizing.

For example, I don't like the little white powdered donuts that come in a bag at the grocery store. But when I'm counting my calories, and there is half of one left on my kid's plate I suddenly *need* that donut!

Or what about yellow and orange Starbursts? Does anyone actually like those flavors??? Even my kids reject them, but if I find one while rummaging through the "rejected candy" basket in our pantry, I will totally eat it! Why?!?!

I've been so desperate for chocolate that I once nearly ate a piece of poop that had fallen out of my child's diaper unbeknownst to me. I was certain it was a chocolate chip that had inadvertently fallen to the floor when I was baking earlier in the day. Luckily, something told me to take a whiff before I put it in my mouth.

My point is, we need to stop telling ourselves that we cannot eat certain foods. Eliminating your favorite foods from your diet altogether is a sure recipe for a binging disaster! Food is meant to be enjoyed! Eat your favorites on occasion, and don't feel guilty about it! It's probably better to eat that cookie now than to eat a 1-pound bag of peanut butter M&Ms later in your sugar-deprived delirium.


But I digress...

Following my blog reading and subsequent deep thoughts, I went to visit daughter #2 at school to eat lunch with her and bring a cookie cake to celebrate her birthday, which was yesterday (and was the origin of my poor eating reference in paragraph 1).


After lunch, it was time for another Easter egg hunt. This one was at the boy's preschool.


Then it was the usual afternoon rituals: snacks, homework, and dinner preparation. We had spaghetti tonight. Have you tried this new Hidden Veggies spaghetti?


I think it tastes great! The kids don't seem to have noticed any difference between this and their normal noodles. There is ONE serving of vegetables in every TWO servings of pasta. My kids probably eat less than one serving, so they're not even getting half a serving of veggies from the pasta, but at least it's something. Plus, it's a new product and the coupons are plentiful right now.

Question of the day:

Do you ever binge eat?


3 comments:

Caroljean at Watersong Journey said...

Okay, I just had to read that! Your title was ever so catchy! ha! And totally true content!

Caroljean at Watersong Journey said...

Okay, I just had to read that! Your title was ever so catchy! ha! And totally true content!

Unknown said...

Hahaha! Thanks, Carol! True story. :)