Friday, March 1, 2013

Sacred Sundays

Sunday afternoons are sacred at my house. We have family time. We nap. And I do prep work for the upcoming week. 'Cause I'm anal retentive organized like that.

There's little in life that excites me more than preparing a dozen or so peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the week ahead. My kids are getting a healthy, homemade lunch while I save money and time. I mean, really...what's not to love?!?

I still remember that fateful day a year or so ago when I discovered that PB&J's could be made ahead of time and frozen! Talk about rocking my world!!! Where had this information been my entire life???

Are you ready? I'm about to go all Pioneer Woman on you.

The cast of characters.


First, you want to take 2 pieces of bread and put a thin layer of peanut butter on both pieces. This is the key, because it prevents your jelly from soaking into the bread.


After you've finished peanut buttering all your bread, you're ready to add the jelly.


Now you're ready to put the sandwiches together. This is the part where we get to use my favorite tool since sliced bread (pun intended).


Have you tried one of these? It's the Cut-N-Seal from Pampered Chef. It cuts the crust right off the sandwich and seals all the good stuff inside. And it makes your sandwiches look so pretty!


After I've made all my sandwiches look cute, I put them in plastic storage containers and stick them in the freezer. Now they're ready to pop right out of the freezer when I am getting lunch boxes ready throughout the week!


My next order of business is a fruit salad. I have decided that fruit salads are the best way to go for my family. It gets everyone eating a variety of fruits, and it helps me ensure that no single fruit is neglected and left in the refrigerator forgotten.


Now when I'm fixing lunch boxes or whenever the kids are asking for a snack, I have a healthy option ready and waiting. The washing and cutting are already done!

What are your favorite tips for getting organized?

2 comments:

Audra Kelly said...

I'll try to recreate the comment.:)
I swear Jennifer Corvin, we could be best friends! I, too, use my Sundays as prep day for the week!
How do you keep the fruit salad fresh? I'm sure your crew eats it faster than mine...:)

Unknown said...

Awww...thanks for so being so diligent and posting your comment THREE times! That's dedication, and it is appreciated. :)
Our fruit salad is usually gone by Thursday at the latest. It holds up pretty well for that period of time. I think the pineapple helps. It's so acidic that it helps preserve the other fruit...I think. Maybe that will be next year's science fair project. :)