Thursday, March 7, 2013

Morning Workouts: Why I'm Brilliant

I woke up bright and early today and kicked things off with a little Insanity Max Cardio Conditioning.



People ask me all the time how on earth I get up and workout early in the morning. It was definitely not easy when I started. There were a few days that I didn't get up and had to workout in the evenings after my kids went to bed. But my energy level is usually so low by that time of day that it was kind of miserable. 

So I decided that morning was the way it had to be. And I can honestly say that I love it now. It gets my day started off on the right foot and gives me so much energy. Plus, my workout is done, out of the way and no longer hanging over my head.



I decided to do a little research and see if there was something that makes working out in the morning inherently better. And it turns out I'm pretty brilliant. Because there is a little scientific data to back me up: 

1. Over 90% of people who exercise consistently do it first thing in the morning. That means you're much more likely to stick with it if you do it then. Why? Because how many times have you planned to workout later and something comes up? Or you're too tired? Or the latest episode of "The Walking Dead" is on, and you just have to know what happened to Sophia???

2. It jump starts your metabolism. That's right. You'll be burning more calories throughout the rest of your day when you exercise in the morning. Which means you can eat that extra cookie after dinner will be thinner.

3. People who exercise in the morning usually make better food choices throughout the day. According to most, it sets a "healthy tone" for the day. And no one wants to work that hard and ruin it all later by eating their weight in Snickers.

4. Finally, and this really does explain so much, exercise increases mental acuity for 4 - 10 hours afterwards. After giving birth to 4 children, I could use all the mental acuity I can get. And I don't know about you, but I would rather be all mentally acute while I'm awake than while I'm sleeping.

Okay, so now that we've established how great it is to workout in the morning, I'll give you a few tips to make it easier. I have learned that you have to prepare. Fill your water bottle the night before, lay out your workout clothes, get your iPod or DVD ready, anything you can think of to make the morning go more smoothly. I even prepare the kids' lunches the night before. And I have taught my older girls to wake themselves. They come downstairs and put their lunch boxes in their backpacks and get out vitamins and drinks for breakfast. I know; they are amazing!

Regardless of what time you decide to exercise, just get it done! No time is a bad time, and you won't ever regret a workout.

No comments: